Welcome to the new version of Finnbass. Here you will find all the top quality content you know and love. All content has been brought over from the old version of the forum, as well as all user details.

Although your user accounts have been imported, you may find that you will need to request a new password in order to log in. To do this go to the Login button (top right). Try logging in with your usual user name and password. If this fails, click I forgot my password then enter your email address. You should receive an email with a login link and new password. Use these to log in.

Once logged in, if you did get issued with a new password, it is a good idea to alter it to something else. To do this click on your user name (top right) then click on User Control Panel. Click the Profile tab, then click Edit account settings. Here you can set a new password.

NOTE TO NEW USERS
Once you have registered, your first post will need to be approved before it is made public. This is to prevent spam postings, so please bear with us.

Slide guitar

*Sharp intake of breath*

Moderator: Spike

redroque

Post by redroque »

that sounds interesting - never tried one but do fancy a crack! Theremins are cool - keys guy has just bought one - lots of great noises but whether we actually use it...... He is keen for us to do Nutbush so he can!

TPJ

Post by TPJ »

I just picked up a lap steel recently and it's great fun. I did some (way too much) research and am now pretty equipped with the lap steel that has a Duesenberg bender bridge, two tone bars and various finger picks. On the way is a Fender passive volume pedal that will run into a little Digitech multi-effects unit. It's currently tuned open E (E,B,E,G#,B,E lowest pitch to highest) and I have dicked around in open D too but I don't think the strings liked being that loose. Soon venturing into C6 tuning after I'm pretty comfortable with open E. There's quite a bit to think about while playing but after watching everything on t'interweb, I'm hooked :). I'll learn a few songs for open mic nights once the technique is better ;)

Here she is:

http://imgur.com/RVlYtmX
Tom

Bands:
The Now Nows

redroque

Post by redroque »

i've fancied a crack at one of these - my inner country trying to get out :)
Are they an expensive thing? - not even checked prices

TPJ

Post by TPJ »

As with anything, you can do it cheap or expensive. Mine cost £350 and needs a little work like new tuners and a rewire. You can get usable ones for £150 if you dig around. The SX one on the Rondo site gets good reviews. It's about £200 to import.

I've not tried any country yet, just playing along with any old song to get familiar with the different positions. Good fun :)
Tom

Bands:
The Now Nows

TPJ

Post by TPJ »

TPJ wrote:The SX one on the Rondo site gets good reviews. It's about £200 to import.
Just noticed the SX prices have gone up a bit. There are also a few other types on Amazon to give you ideas of price.
Tom

Bands:
The Now Nows

TPJ

Post by TPJ »

I was messing around with the new plank and came up with this at the weekend. The mix is a bit rough and ready and the lap steel is a little too crunchy as I had a blues driver before the amp model. Still working out the signal chain. The bass and rhythm guitar were first takes played by myself and drums were created by Garageband which decided to place fills wherever it seemed fit even though it was mapped to the bass. I played this without finger picks...just struggling with them. They fly off and get stuck in the strings. That might take years to get the hang of :).

https://soundcloud.com/user-85675430/steelie-short/s-EY20T
Tom

Bands:
The Now Nows

redroque

Post by redroque »

sounds rather proficient to me! It slides in all the right places with all the right harmonies. Good job!

TPJ

Post by TPJ »

So I now have three lap steel guitars now...lol :). I didn't really need another source of GAS. I still need an amp for them too!

The second in was the white Bennett 8 sting. Love that one. Keyless , 25 inch scale and weighs a tonne but sounds superb. Tuned A6 with a low F# and high E.

Just got the black Epiphone yesterday. £199 and came with a case and instrument lead. It's a cracking little short scale at 22 1/2 inch, weighs nothing and sounds great now at C6. Might need a pickup replacement later on but I got it to throw in my suit case when travelling.

Here they are :)

https://goo.gl/photos/14gYDVWiVEh5sYyE9
Tom

Bands:
The Now Nows

oldslapper

Post by oldslapper »

TPJ wrote:So I now have three lap steel guitars now...lol :). I didn't really need another source of GAS. I still need an amp for them too!

The second in was the white Bennett 8 sting. Love that one. Keyless , 25 inch scale and weighs a tonne but sounds superb. Tuned A6 with a low F# and high E.

Just got the black Epiphone yesterday. £199 and came with a case and instrument lead. It's a cracking little short scale at 22 1/2 inch, weighs nothing and sounds great now at C6. Might need a pickup replacement later on but I got it to throw in my suit case when travelling.

Here they are :)

https://goo.gl/photos/14gYDVWiVEh5sYyE9
That's dead cool Tom. And a very quick GAS escalation :D

I have a "thing" for tenor guitars....i fear I may end up with same condition.
Map Reader extraordinaire