Welcome to the new version of Finnbass. Here you will find all the top quality content you know and love. All content has been brought over from the old version of the forum, as well as all user details.

Although your user accounts have been imported, you may find that you will need to request a new password in order to log in. To do this go to the Login button (top right). Try logging in with your usual user name and password. If this fails, click I forgot my password then enter your email address. You should receive an email with a login link and new password. Use these to log in.

Once logged in, if you did get issued with a new password, it is a good idea to alter it to something else. To do this click on your user name (top right) then click on User Control Panel. Click the Profile tab, then click Edit account settings. Here you can set a new password.

NOTE TO NEW USERS
Once you have registered, your first post will need to be approved before it is made public. This is to prevent spam postings, so please bear with us.

Prometheus

Lights, camera, action!

Moderator: Spike

david_l_perry

Prometheus

Post by david_l_perry »

Damn this looks good....it's a sort of prequel to Alien......

[youtube]1byZkbNB3Jw[/youtube]

As long as bishop or Riply don't make an annoying cameo appearance.....
Finnbass ....its like the elderly rest home for those dodgy relatives who refuse to die.....

Work http://www.extendeddesign.co.uk

Copyright © Mickey mouse inc, all rights reserved, or stolen

gilmour

Post by gilmour »

Prometheus looks amazing, my slight fear is that they're releasing new trailers/photos every week and by the time it comes out I fear I'll have seen the whole movie. I's my fault for following Den of Geek on Twitter (I'm trying to ignore the Prometheus stuff now).

AFAIK it's meant to stand on it's own as a movie whilst also serving as a prequel. So I very much doubt that there will be any silly cameos.
BOOM
noun.
1. A deep resonant sound, as of an explosion.
2. A time of economic prosperity.
3. A sudden increase, as in popularity.

I'm online www.gilmourvisualnoise.co.uk | @RobGilmourBass

Post by Guest »

It looks bloody awesome. AFAIK it's set around the crashed spaceship where the crew of the Nostromo discovered the Alien in the first film, some 30 years before the events in that film.

There's no Bishop, but there is an Android in Michael Fassbender's character. Personally, I can't wait :)

S.
Insert self-aggrandising list of expensive equipment here.

"Don't mistake me for a musician, I'm just someone who likes music and screws around with some stringy things and some boxes to make some sounds."

Also known as "The Scary One". Boo.

Antonius

Post by Antonius »

gilmour wrote:Promethean looks amazing, my slight fear is that they're releasing new trailers/photos every week and by the time it comes out I fear I'll have seen the whole stack. I's my fault for following Den of Geek on Twitter (I'm trying to ignore the Promethean stuff now).

AFAIK it's meant to stand on it's own as a combo whilst also serving as a preamp. So I very much doubt that there will be any silly cameos.

Got it all mixed up I'm afraid.
Finnbass.com - it has a certain, indefinable, double entendre quality about 't which ye canna quite put yer finger on.....

Post by Guest »

There's always some bloody smartass that HAS to be pedantic and remind us all why we're here, isn't there??? :D

S.

"Don't mistake me for a musician, I'm just someone who likes music and screws around with some stringy things and some boxes to make some sounds."

Antonius

Post by Antonius »

That's why I keep coming back. I like most of the smartass / dumbass posting on this forum so much, some of the best laughs in years found in this place. Trying my best to deliver a bit of a continental share, although I'm not taking pride in bringing tears of laughter to FB faces. I will leave that to the natives, you people are better with the subtleties and unsubltheissdsjf (bloody awfull word that is) of this language.
Finnbass.com - it has a certain, indefinable, double entendre quality about 't which ye canna quite put yer finger on.....

redroque

Post by redroque »

Thumper wrote:There's always some bloody smartass that HAS to be pedantic and remind us all why we're here, isn't there??? :D

S.
if i could have got a decent angle like that, I would have too!

Post by Guest »

Okies, a quick review...

(don't worry, no spoilers, just one small hint)

I can see why so many people have been disappointed, a film based on the Alien universe would have you expecting much the same as the previous films in a prequel format, no? Not so.

What you have is a pretty original concept that builds on the Alien mythos, but adds a new twist. You have to think your way through this from the very start as it (ahem) evolves (that's the only hint I'm giving), and accept that some mysteries facing the crew won't be solved for the audience either.

There are still some large residual plot holes you could pilot the Nostromo through. If that's to keep some elements open for what seems like an inevitable sequel, it's pretty damn lazy film-making.

All-in-all, it's an exhausting 124 minutes and, yes, there are some pretty damn outrageous gut-wrenching moments... the "twist" at the end is fairly predictable in a "let's tie up some loose ends for the hard-of-thinking" way. It's a good movie but falls short of being a *very* good one. It is, however, total eye candy and well worth getting the full cinema effect, but I wouldn't bother with the 3D offering.

S.

gilmour

Post by gilmour »

I agree with all of that Thumps, I enjoyed it, it's a stunning bit of film making, and very edge of the seat throughout.

Only thing that bothered me was the character development/changes felt a bit to sudden, but I'm trying to give away no spoilers so will shut up.

Infinitely better than the Star Wars prequels. In some ways prequel is to strong a word, it's just a film set in the same universe as the Alien franchise, which IMO is the best way to think about it as it doesn't share characters etc.

There's an interesting piece on it here that unpacks some of the negatives people have had, but this does contain spoilers. So only read if you've seen the movie. http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/prometh ... prometheus
BOOM
noun.
1. A deep resonant sound, as of an explosion.
2. A time of economic prosperity.
3. A sudden increase, as in popularity.

I'm online www.gilmourvisualnoise.co.uk | @RobGilmourBass

BottomEndian

Post by BottomEndian »

Thumper wrote:...it's pretty damn lazy film-making.
Saw it on Saturday, and those few words sum it up for me. Really visually spectacular, with some great ideas thrown around, but overall... Promehtheus. One thing no one seems to have mentioned anywhere is just how appalling some of the acting was. Kate Dickie as Ford (the medic) was so wooden that they may just as well have used a fencepost in a kilt.