Welcome to the new version of Finnbass. Here you will find all the top quality content you know and love. All content has been brought over from the old version of the forum, as well as all user details.

Although your user accounts have been imported, you may find that you will need to request a new password in order to log in. To do this go to the Login button (top right). Try logging in with your usual user name and password. If this fails, click I forgot my password then enter your email address. You should receive an email with a login link and new password. Use these to log in.

Once logged in, if you did get issued with a new password, it is a good idea to alter it to something else. To do this click on your user name (top right) then click on User Control Panel. Click the Profile tab, then click Edit account settings. Here you can set a new password.

NOTE TO NEW USERS
Once you have registered, your first post will need to be approved before it is made public. This is to prevent spam postings, so please bear with us.

Build thread: JB-1960 Stack knob

Moderator: Spike

bryceee

Post by bryceee »

IT certainly is looking good.
Can you tell us how the caps/resistors are wired up and the reason for this as opposed to the normal small caps that are usually used?

wes

Post by wes »

This is a vintage correct .05 oil paper caps and NOS resistors circuit for 1960 and early 1961, late 61 changed to disc caps and resistors.

The only reason I'm using them is because thats how it was done on the originals.

for wiring diagrams the one on the fender site for the 62 has the right one although it has the disc caps and not the oil papers.

These circuits sound great although they do suffer a bit from lack of volume and the resistors take away from the tone a bit but these can be bypassed if you want. Leo obviously knew this hence changing over to the vol, vol and tone circuit.
http://www.steedbasses.co.uk - Handmade custom bass guitars and vintage reproductions, Brighton UK.

bryceee

Post by bryceee »

Ah right thanks. It's always nice to know why something is out of the ordinary. :)

wes

Post by wes »

some belated updates....

Friday is nearly over so here is another update on the J..

Bit of bad news about the build, the neck has moved a bit too much since cutting the shape so I'm going to scrap it and start again. I would try and work around it but there not enough meat left to get it back to being flat and true. This is why I leave the timber to settle after cutting. Most of the time they don't move much at all, but this was one of the blanks that did! OH well, thats the nature of wood!

So heres a little interesting thing for you, after realising the neck was going to the land of the scrap I decided to make the truss rod routing jig.

and after the first pass (note the scrap neck being my test subject!)

Works perfectly! Bang in the center and perfect depths etc!

not as exciting as the usual posts I know...I have been doing a bit of restoration work this week though which has seen most of my time!

Right I gotta make me another neck :o
http://www.steedbasses.co.uk - Handmade custom bass guitars and vintage reproductions, Brighton UK.

wes

Post by wes »

Pickups routed

perfect tight fit with the covers, here tested with control plate and a pickguard

Pin router holes plugged with maple dowells. (I make the dowells myself too haha)

body fine sanded ready for the 50:50 sealer coat, followed by more sanding and then grain filler!

cavities initialled and dated

I'll put the body away in a plastic bag till I do the spraying.

wes

Post by wes »

After last weeks discovery that the neck had moved a bit too much for my liking I started a fresh neck today and have it to the same stage as the last one. I need to let it rest for 48 hours now to let it settle, then I will rout for the truss rod and do the nut hole and connecting hole. This neck is twice as nice as the last one too, really lovely old growth flame maple!

Perfect tight fit, no screws required :)

cheers for looking!

Steve

Post by Steve »

That shot with the tort plate and control plate really starts to show the promise of this bass...

I like the fact that you make your own dowels:D

wes

Post by wes »

Steve wrote:That shot with the tort plate and control plate really starts to show the promise of this bass...

I like the fact that you make your own dowels:D
Cheers Steve,

Haha the dowels...well i could buy them but its much funner to put a rough stick of maple into a drill chuck and then whizz it round on a specially made block with a right angled notch cut out lined with abrasive! that way you can make dowels to the size that you need.