Welcome to the new version of Finnbass. Here you will find all the top quality content you know and love. All content has been brought over from the old version of the forum, as well as all user details.

Although your user accounts have been imported, you may find that you will need to request a new password in order to log in. To do this go to the Login button (top right). Try logging in with your usual user name and password. If this fails, click I forgot my password then enter your email address. You should receive an email with a login link and new password. Use these to log in.

Once logged in, if you did get issued with a new password, it is a good idea to alter it to something else. To do this click on your user name (top right) then click on User Control Panel. Click the Profile tab, then click Edit account settings. Here you can set a new password.

NOTE TO NEW USERS
Once you have registered, your first post will need to be approved before it is made public. This is to prevent spam postings, so please bear with us.

Vocal booth / mic shield - advise me, chaps!

Shiny, Shiny...

Moderator: Spike

oxblood

Vocal booth / mic shield - advise me, chaps!

Post by oxblood »

I'm getting back into recording some song vocals (and narration stuff - just think Stephen Toast ;)) at home, so I've unboxed my trusty old Oktava MK319 mic.

In our previous house, I built myself a proper vocal booth into which I would disappear to do my howling and grunting, but it's not practical to start buiding something that fancy in my present home, so...

I've been wondering about getting one of those wraparound mini vocal booth / mic shield things. So far, at £60 and free delivery, this one seems quite an attractive proposition:[INDENT] Image
[/INDENT]Product page linky linky thing: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Essentials-Reco ... B0045CXIUI

...but if any of you have any personal recommendations and/or know of even better deals, I'd be grateful for your input (balanced line with phantom power, of course ;))

Cheers,
K

oldslapper

Post by oldslapper »

That's a very good price.
Map Reader extraordinaire

Beyond

Post by Beyond »

I have a fair bit of experience of grunting, but have never felt the need to record my teenage son's utterances to date, but that does look rather professional (I say that knowing next to nothing about these things).

Antonius

Post by Antonius »

I was going to suggest a meter and a half of egg crate foam and some DIY creativity (duct tape?). But this sure looks much more pro. What do you need to hold it in place though? The construction seems a tad heavy for the average mic stand. Do allow additional budget for a sturdy stand. Unless you intend to nail it to a wall or door.

And install a pop filter as well, in addition to the wrap around contraption.
Finnbass.com - it has a certain, indefinable, double entendre quality about 't which ye canna quite put yer finger on.....

redroque

Post by redroque »

I bought the thomann version when I recently started dipping my toe back in the water. It came with a bar for a single mic and a spaced pair. It needs a decent mic stand to mount on as it's weighty. It does little to reduce the noise like a proper booth does (like I used to have!) but it does significantly reduce ambient sound and reclection allowing excellent opportunities to fix errant timing and tuning and then treat with lovely plugins. Def. the way forward!

oxblood

Post by oxblood »

Bought! Delivery expected between 2nd - 6th Jan. Thanks, chaps. :)

oxblood

Post by oxblood »

Have just had a text informing me that it'll be delivered tomorrow -woohoo! Shall post a review of it in the coming days. :)

oldslapper

Post by oldslapper »

Postal service been exceeding itself recently Ken! :)
Map Reader extraordinaire

oxblood

Post by oxblood »

Innit just - I'm staggered. Best not count me chickens until the thing's handed over and signed for, though, eh... ;)

Re. the "review", my plan is as follows:

First I'll make a recording of the ambient noise in the room (which consists mostly of the mechanical hiss from my Mac Pro, which is unavoidably only a few feet to one side of the mic) without the device in place, and do a screen-grab of that waveform.

I'll then fit the beastie, ensure that everything's in the same position, make a second recording and screen-grab that waveform.

I'll then post both recordings and their respective screengrabs, to see how much (if any!) noise reduction is achieved.

I'll also report on how easy or otherwise the thing is to use etc. Watch this space!