Welcome to the new version of Finnbass. Here you will find all the top quality content you know and love. All content has been brought over from the old version of the forum, as well as all user details.

Although your user accounts have been imported, you may find that you will need to request a new password in order to log in. To do this go to the Login button (top right). Try logging in with your usual user name and password. If this fails, click I forgot my password then enter your email address. You should receive an email with a login link and new password. Use these to log in.

Once logged in, if you did get issued with a new password, it is a good idea to alter it to something else. To do this click on your user name (top right) then click on User Control Panel. Click the Profile tab, then click Edit account settings. Here you can set a new password.

NOTE TO NEW USERS
Once you have registered, your first post will need to be approved before it is made public. This is to prevent spam postings, so please bear with us.

Epiphone Jack Casady Signature bass (20th anniversary)

If it has strings...

Moderator: Spike

neepheid

Epiphone Jack Casady Signature bass (20th anniversary)

Post by neepheid »

Yaaaas, it has arrived!

Image Image

In a piece of jammy luck I think I might have scooped the last one of these available in the UK (online at least). Bear in mind that the 20th anniversary of the release of the Jack Casady Signature was 2 years ago. Very nice package fitting of celebrating an anniversary- it came with an adequate gigbag which actually fits the damn thing (although I might get the hard case eventually), a decent, wide leather strap and a bunch of swag - poster, sticker and a very nice memento of a photo of Jack Casady with the bass and the certificate of authenticity in a fold out hardback book cover type of thing.

Gripes? The "E" on the pickguard is barely stuck on (only the centre seems to have stuck down). Better get a wee dab of glue under there before it goes walkies!

I'm so glad to have a JC Signature again. Can't wait for band rehearsals next week and will take it for its first gig next Friday.

Stan_da_man

Re: Epiphone Jack Casady Signature bass (20th anniversary)

Post by Stan_da_man »

Such a cool looking bass. Nice find.

oldslapper

Post by oldslapper »

Stan_da_man wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:04 am
Such a cool looking bass. Nice find.
This! 😎

RichardH

Post by RichardH »

Lovely!

redroque

Post by redroque »

Niice!!!

oxblood

Post by oxblood »

...and I thought mine was pretty. That's gorgeous! I love the deep red lustre of the varnish and the wood grain - very tasty. :cool:

I bought my JC 2nd hand, and the previous owner had removed the "E". May I make a suggestion regarding your ill-applied logo?

Rather than use glue, which could get messy, I'd advise using some decent quality double-sided adhesive tape. Place the logo on the tape and scalpel precisely round the edge, ensuring there's no excess tape showing, then peel off the backing and apply the logo to
The scratchplate (it'll be quite an art getting the position/angle exactly right!).

Alternatively, do what I did: order a new logo (they're cheaply obtainable) which will come with its own self-adhesive backing. :)

I keep thinking of getting the dedicated hardcase for mine, too - I just wish it wasn't so bloody expensive! :D

ADDED LATER:
Do my eyes deceive me, Neepy, or is it strung with flats? I've got TI flats on mine, and it's bloody perfection IMHO. The thing I love most about the JC is the unique sonic character of its pickup and transformer: I've never heard any other pup with such a combination of percussive "bite" and sweetness of tone.

neepheid

Post by neepheid »

oxblood wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:18 am
...and I thought mine was pretty. That's gorgeous! I love the deep red lustre of the varnish and the wood grain - very tasty. :cool:

I bought my JC 2nd hand, and the previous owner had removed the "E". May I make a suggestion regarding your ill-applied logo?

Rather than use glue, which could get messy, I'd advise using some decent quality double-sided adhesive tape. Place the logo on the tape and scalpel precisely round the edge, ensuring there's no excess tape showing, then peel off the backing and apply the logo to
The scratchplate (it'll be quite an art getting the position/angle exactly right!).

Alternatively, do what I did: order a new logo (they're cheaply obtainable) which will come with its own self-adhesive backing. :)

I keep thinking of getting the dedicated hardcase for mine, too - I just wish it wasn't so bloody expensive! :D

ADDED LATER:
Do my eyes deceive me, Neepy, or is it strung with flats? I've got TI flats on mine, and it's bloody perfection IMHO. The thing I love most about the JC is the unique sonic character of its pickup and transformer: I've never heard any other pup with such a combination of percussive "bite" and sweetness of tone.
Thanks, this one is a little understated compared to my last one (the blue royale - sparkly blue with sparkly binding!) and I think it looks a bit classier as a result.

I was thinking of a tiny amount of superglue under the ends - it is currently attached by the central part of the E. That way I won't have to worry about positioning. If I don't think I can do that in an unmessy way then I guess I'll remove it and do it the way you suggest.

I don't think the hardcase is that bad - can be had for around £100 - but maybe one person's expensive is another's reasonable?

Nah, that's the stock rounds - I'm not really a flats guy. I might change them for other rounds - they seem a bit weedier than my usual 45-105 gauge.
Totally get what you're saying about sound, it's a great core sound and the variable impedance just gives you more to play with. I normally keep it on 250 - the difference between 50 and 250 is pretty subtle to my ears but switching up to 500 fairly kicks things up a notch in terms of volume and heft! Another thing I like mucking about with is feedback - eminently possible with the mostly hollow body and although it isn't as immediate as guitar feedback - it seems to take time to swell and grow, it's a lot of fun :)

neepheid

Post by neepheid »

Well that was a lot of fun! First time playing this bass with the band at tonight's rehearsal and it was like putting on a ready broken in pair of boots. Felt great, sounded great. Job done :)

oxblood

Post by oxblood »

Nice one. Sound files next! :)