Welcome to the new version of Finnbass. Here you will find all the top quality content you know and love. All content has been brought over from the old version of the forum, as well as all user details.

Although your user accounts have been imported, you may find that you will need to request a new password in order to log in. To do this go to the Login button (top right). Try logging in with your usual user name and password. If this fails, click I forgot my password then enter your email address. You should receive an email with a login link and new password. Use these to log in.

Once logged in, if you did get issued with a new password, it is a good idea to alter it to something else. To do this click on your user name (top right) then click on User Control Panel. Click the Profile tab, then click Edit account settings. Here you can set a new password.

NOTE TO NEW USERS
Once you have registered, your first post will need to be approved before it is made public. This is to prevent spam postings, so please bear with us.

Time to switch things up?

If it has strings...

Moderator: Spike

oldslapper

Re: Time to switch things up?

Post by oldslapper »

[/quote]

Fantastic, really enjoying it so far. This is the Super Light version so the bass only weighs 6lbs 7ozs.

There are plenty of EQ options on tap and the neck is very comfy to move around.

Has ever, that German build quality is present! ;)
[/quote]

Good news 😎
Stan_da_man

Post by Stan_da_man »

I messaged a few builders about building a short scale bass or implementing my Jazz neck on a lighter body. I realised the main issue, pure and simple, was weight. I can play a 34" scale fine, I just struggle with the weight of some basses. My Sandberg sorts the weight issue by being extremely light and then some. Really great bass that I've played every day since acquiring it.
Stan_da_man

Post by Stan_da_man »

Stan_da_man wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:24 pm Right. I purchased a new bass. First new new bass in nine years. An Ernie Ball Music Man Cutlass - the Precision type. I sent it back the next day due to poor shielding. I felt for the price I paid, I shouldn't have to do extra work myself on the bass.

That leaves me with one bass again. My trusty Standowsky Jazz. This bass weighs a fricking ton. I've only started to notice this the last two years (back issues/heart problems/old man symptoms). It weighs 11lbs. I need a lighter bass but the neck and pickups are far too good to go to waste (Brazilian rosewood neck, Sadowsky pickups). I have come up with an idea...

Remove the neck from the body. The neck feels amazing to play - the best I have come across on a bass. I installed a Tusq XL nut last year. I was going to replace the tuners at some point with Gotoh GB640s to help with any neck dive. On the body, I would remove the pickups and all the electronics. Also the Gotoh 201B-4 bridge. My plan is to buy a swamp ash Jazz body, install the pickups, electronics and bridge before attaching the neck and restringing.

My biggest concern in all of this is the neck fitting the new body. I might have a neck pocket which could fit a credit card or, even worse, one too small making the neck impossible to fit. How often do Jazz necks mismatch Jazz bodies? I'm after the same bass I play now but with a lighter body - is this a dumb idea?!
Coming back to this... woof!

So, before all of the shenanigans last year, I had removed the neck from the body and installed some new Schaller tuning keys. I also removed the Gotoh bridge and the Sadowsky pickups / control plate electronics.

I have a chance to pick up a Vintage VJ74 (Jazz) bass for nothing and thought that would make a great base (bass?) for the project. A long shot I know, but has anyone on here owned one of these basses and measured the neck pocket or done a neck swap? I would have thought these Vintage basses would be standard Fender dimensions?
redroque

Post by redroque »

Sorry not me! Never owned a Fender or copy bass! I think buy anyway! Buying losts of stuff is good for you!
Stan_da_man

Post by Stan_da_man »

redroque wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:10 pm Sorry not me! Never owned a Fender or copy bass! I think buy anyway! Buying losts of stuff is good for you!
Well... it didn't work out in the end since the seller had already sold the bass!

On the flip side, I just picked up a slab body P bass in nitro white on the 'bay. P body with a J neck? Sounds like a cool project. The neck pocket measurements the seller gave line up with what I have so fingers crossed that it fits!
redroque

Post by redroque »

Love a project!
Stan_da_man

Post by Stan_da_man »

The body arrived today and the neck heel was a touch wider than the neck pocket. Sanded the neck pocket and seated the neck. Tightened the screws until hand tight - no drills here! Seems to be holding up nicely so will leave it 24 hours and see how the neck has settled. :)
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

Nice one - pics please when it's all up and running!
Stan_da_man

Post by Stan_da_man »

Pics will be going up shortly!

Neck plate still tight and secure - one screw needed 1/8 a turn (if that) but otherwise all good. Neck pocket gaps are quite minimal so pretty happy overall.
Stan_da_man

Post by Stan_da_man »

Pretty much have all my parts now, ready to start assembly.

Here is a full run down of the specs:

Maple neck with Brazilian rosewood fingerboard (Jazz neck)
Nitrocellulose see thru white '66 slab Precision body
60s three ply black pickguard
Schaller bass BM tuners
Tusq XL nut
Gotoh vintage threaded bridge
Allparts oversized strap pins, flat top control knobs and tug bar
Kiogon solderless loom - CTS 250k pots, 0.1uf cap, Switchcraft jack
SIT Foundations 45-105 gauge

Just need to choose the pickups now!