Welcome to the new version of Finnbass. Here you will find all the top quality content you know and love. All content has been brought over from the old version of the forum, as well as all user details.

Although your user accounts have been imported, you may find that you will need to request a new password in order to log in. To do this go to the Login button (top right). Try logging in with your usual user name and password. If this fails, click I forgot my password then enter your email address. You should receive an email with a login link and new password. Use these to log in.

Once logged in, if you did get issued with a new password, it is a good idea to alter it to something else. To do this click on your user name (top right) then click on User Control Panel. Click the Profile tab, then click Edit account settings. Here you can set a new password.

NOTE TO NEW USERS
Once you have registered, your first post will need to be approved before it is made public. This is to prevent spam postings, so please bear with us.

1979 USA Precision P/J Fretless (jazz neck) bitsa

Moderator: Spike

RichardH

1979 USA Precision P/J Fretless (jazz neck) bitsa

Post by RichardH »

£699

Body appears to be dated as 26 June 1979. I acquired the body from the original owner, who bought the bass new in Denmark Street. In his time of ownership it had the J pickup route added, and was converted to stereo - as well as being painted salmon pink. When I got it (around 2005 IIRC), the salmon pink was seriously flaking off, so I stripped it back to bare wood, and then grain filled with clear epoxy resin (which makes the grain pop nicely). Finished in clear nitro, there are some blemishes in places - see pics. I have considered refinishing it, but I think we'll call it mojo instead. You will see from the photo where I have removed the scratchplate that the colour had mellowed nicely over the years. Currently set up for mono use, there is a spare switch on the scratchplate that I intended to get sorted for some sort of bonkers switching scheme but decided to keep things simpler. Second output jack plate installed to cover the hole. I have spare jack sockets if you want to try some inventive wiring.

The neck (serial K014230) is a 1990 Made In Japan Jazz neck, and has a lovely slim profile. Width at nut is 38mm, and depth at the nut is 20mm from fretboard to rear of neck centreline. I bought the neck already finished as it is, which is in a clear gloss epoxy. Side dots are at the fret position (i.e. a "proper" fretless neck. Tuners are contemporary with the neck (came with it so I assume are the originals), and are a nickel finish rather than chrome. They are a little "slack" when tuning down, but hold tune very well - just tune down below the note and then wind the tuner up again (as you usually would anyway.

Bridge is a BadAss II, again in nickel finish. Pickups a P/J pair of Seymour Duncan Basslines. Currently strung with TI Jazz Flats.

OK, so now the elephant in the room..... weight. No, it doesn't weigh as much as an elephant, although Fenders of this era are renowned as boat anchors. It comes in at 4.8kg - 10lb 9oz. Weighed on my luggage scales that I also tested with weighing a similar weight of known items (5 full bags of flour, if you must know), so I am confident that the weight is accurate.

Will be shipped in a Tribal Planet semi rigid gig bag - it's an excellent bag, but has a broken zip on one of the small pockets - otherwise eminently usable.

Shipping would be at cost (I will insist on a fully insured, tracked service), or you are welcome to collect from East Herts (3 miles north east of Hertford).

Any questions, please ask - happy to take more photos etc.

It's a bugger getting inside the horn when you've got the array supports in place, isn't it!

redroque

Post by redroque »

Nice - in addition, it was built on my 15th birthday - must add some interest ;)

RichardH

Post by RichardH »

Well there you go then. By some bizarre twist did you weigh 10lb 9oz when you you were born, too?
It's a bugger getting inside the horn when you've got the array supports in place, isn't it!

redroque

Post by redroque »

9 1/2lb - bit more manageable :) - not what my mother said.........

RichardH

Post by RichardH »