Welcome to the new version of Finnbass. Here you will find all the top quality content you know and love. All content has been brought over from the old version of the forum, as well as all user details.

Although your user accounts have been imported, you may find that you will need to request a new password in order to log in. To do this go to the Login button (top right). Try logging in with your usual user name and password. If this fails, click I forgot my password then enter your email address. You should receive an email with a login link and new password. Use these to log in.

Once logged in, if you did get issued with a new password, it is a good idea to alter it to something else. To do this click on your user name (top right) then click on User Control Panel. Click the Profile tab, then click Edit account settings. Here you can set a new password.

NOTE TO NEW USERS
Once you have registered, your first post will need to be approved before it is made public. This is to prevent spam postings, so please bear with us.

John East Pre-Amps

John's work should need no introduction...

Moderator: Spike

Antonius

Post by Antonius »

Funny thing with bass necks. Most people seem to prefer the thin necks. I noticed your Marcus Miller was very slender as well. I have a distinct preference for the baseball bat. My good old 4 string Spector has a telegraph pole. For me that was a huge step forward compared to my first bass, a Westone Spectrum ST. Its' tooth pick neck did not work for me, I prefer the baseball bat any day. Yet my hands are not huge. Funny thing it is.
Finnbass.com - it has a certain, indefinable, double entendre quality about 't which ye canna quite put yer finger on.....

Sanemancured

Post by Sanemancured »

I seem to be able to adjust to most necks. My Les Goodwin bass was very slender particularly at the nut and was pushing it a bit too far.
I'd rather have a life of 'OH WELLS' than a life of 'WHAT IFS.

RIGSBY

Post by RIGSBY »

Anton, that Sire MM has a beautiful neck, but just for me. You wouldnt like it :cool:

I'm surpised that early NT Thumbs have narrow necks. Narrow by Wawrick standards , though ? Or Jazz narrow ?

When i picked up your BB, it felt like the back of the neck was too deep, rather than the width being too wide. although i'm sure it was wider than i was used to.

Still, if i could ever afford a BB i would have a luthier shave it down
PHOTOGRAPHY

GIG RIG....Carvin BX1600 - Markbass NY 604 x 2 - PRACTICE RIG... Kustom Groovebass 1200 - Pair modded Peavey / Beyma 2x10 -
Basses - RetroVibe Aero 1 modded - Rally Basso 504FM - ESP LTD SM Fretless

tauzero

Post by tauzero »

I think they're shallow rather than narrow. Hang on... right, my Thumb NT is a shade over 1.5" at the nut so it falls between P and J. I find Jazz necks a trifle narrow for my liking.
Coitum volaticum non dono

Steve

Post by Steve »

Digging up an old thread on neck dimensions...

http://www.finnbass.com/showthread.php? ... neck+width
Yes, I can hear you Clem Fandango.

RIGSBY

Post by RIGSBY »

I'd completely forgotten about that thread

There are some HUGE surprises in that list. !!

I must remember to eat my own hat
PHOTOGRAPHY

GIG RIG....Carvin BX1600 - Markbass NY 604 x 2 - PRACTICE RIG... Kustom Groovebass 1200 - Pair modded Peavey / Beyma 2x10 -
Basses - RetroVibe Aero 1 modded - Rally Basso 504FM - ESP LTD SM Fretless

tauzero

Post by tauzero »

Profiles do make a huge difference - the thick Warwick necks varied quite a bit in playability. I wanted to find out if I was likely to be able to play a notlob Warwick Buzzard 5-string a while ago, so I cheekily went to Bass Direct and had a play on a few of their baseball bat Warwick 5s (NT and notlob Thumbs, and IIRC a Streamer). Decided I'd be OK and bought the Buzzard, and found it actually the most playable of the ones I'd played which must have been down to a slightly different profile (they all had a flattened rear).
Coitum volaticum non dono