Welcome to the new version of Finnbass. Here you will find all the top quality content you know and love. All content has been brought over from the old version of the forum, as well as all user details.

Although your user accounts have been imported, you may find that you will need to request a new password in order to log in. To do this go to the Login button (top right). Try logging in with your usual user name and password. If this fails, click I forgot my password then enter your email address. You should receive an email with a login link and new password. Use these to log in.

Once logged in, if you did get issued with a new password, it is a good idea to alter it to something else. To do this click on your user name (top right) then click on User Control Panel. Click the Profile tab, then click Edit account settings. Here you can set a new password.

NOTE TO NEW USERS
Once you have registered, your first post will need to be approved before it is made public. This is to prevent spam postings, so please bear with us.

The Social Dilemma

Moans, groans and the occasional accolade.

Moderator: Spike

Antonius

The Social Dilemma

Post by Antonius »

This is a documentary, about people who used to work for one or more of the big social media companies, then left these jobs mostly for ethical reasons. Not intending to imply that all social media is bad, just that the way these companies work have started to develop unintended side effects that appear to have serious implications for how we perceive the world and more specifically other people with different opinions. Fascinating stuff. My teenager daughter was watching video's on her phone while we were watching this. She put away her phone and started watching it too - that surprised me, in a positive way.

The Social Dilemma, on Netflix. Not sure if it can also be found anywhere else. Highly recommended.

TPJ

Re: The Social Dilemma

Post by TPJ »

I've been meaning to watch this. I just packed it in on facebook due to Brexit/Covid/US election/ world news. Even though I thought I knew some of my "friends", their viewpoints were, at times, very disturbing to me. These troubled times are bringing out the shitty side in some people. It was probably always there and maybe I'm over-reacting but I sure feel better not looking at it anymore :).

redroque

Post by redroque »

I have tended to move away from friends whose views sometimes are downright offensive! Actual old school friends havent been a problem, just some fb friends - maybe from the past or a shared interest. I dont mind binning them!

oldslapper

Post by oldslapper »

I’ll check it out, thanks for the heads up.

I deleted all SM after Brexit vote, as all the hatred and intolerance poured out from people I thought new better.
Covid appears to have done the same, where Karen on Facebook is self appointed expert on virology and the sheep quote her.

SM companies do nothing to counter the hatred, but I guess every retweet and “share” and “like” is income and more information to sell?