Welcome to the new version of Finnbass. Here you will find all the top quality content you know and love. All content has been brought over from the old version of the forum, as well as all user details.

Although your user accounts have been imported, you may find that you will need to request a new password in order to log in. To do this go to the Login button (top right). Try logging in with your usual user name and password. If this fails, click I forgot my password then enter your email address. You should receive an email with a login link and new password. Use these to log in.

Once logged in, if you did get issued with a new password, it is a good idea to alter it to something else. To do this click on your user name (top right) then click on User Control Panel. Click the Profile tab, then click Edit account settings. Here you can set a new password.

NOTE TO NEW USERS
Once you have registered, your first post will need to be approved before it is made public. This is to prevent spam postings, so please bear with us.

Acoustic guitar preamp not working...

Errr...what it says on the tin...

Moderator: Spike

RichardH

Acoustic guitar preamp not working...

Post by RichardH »

The preamp in a friend's acoustic guitar doesn't seem to work. It's a B-Band T35, and I have tried fresh battery etc.

The tuner doesn't light up (I have tested plugging a cable in to make sure it doesn't need a cable in to operate), and no sound comes out through an amp.

I suspect it is just a matter of replacing the unit, but anything else to try before we do that?
It's a bugger getting inside the horn when you've got the array supports in place, isn't it!

Mottlefeeder

Post by Mottlefeeder »

RichardH wrote:The preamp in a friend's acoustic guitar doesn't seem to work. It's a B-Band T35, and I have tried fresh battery etc.

The tuner doesn't light up (I have tested plugging a cable in to make sure it doesn't need a cable in to operate), and no sound comes out through an amp.

I suspect it is just a matter of replacing the unit, but anything else to try before we do that?
If you have access to a multimeter, you could check the resistance between the two battery contacts (with and without a guitar lead plugged in) An open circuit would indicate a faulty connection in that area, and no change when you plug a lead in might indicate a fault in the output jack socket.

David
Yamaha RBX 765 5-string fretted
Ibanez EWB205WNE 5-string fretted acoustic
Ashdown MiBass550
Hartke HA4000
BFM Jack 10 - (2)
Homebrew 1x10
Homebrew Battery Amp

RichardH

Post by RichardH »

Hmmm - that was helpful David.

I have pulled the battery box/jack socket assembly.

With the multimeter I am getting a connection between B- from the battery box and the GND of the 4 pin connector (which goes off to the preamp etc).

I am not getting anything from B+ on the battery and B+ on the 4 pin connector, whether or not I have a jack plug in the socket (I am assuming that the battery is switched out when no lead is connected).

When the jack is disconnected we get

TAG1 > BATT-
TAG1 > B-

TAG2 > OUT

TAG3 > SW

BATT+ > NOTHING

When a jack socket is connected, I get signal thus:

TAG1 > BATT-
TAG1 > B-
TAG1 > SW
TAG1 > TAG3 (if mono jack inserted)
TAG1 > jack sleeve

TAG2 > OUT
TAG2 > jack tip

TAG3 > SW
TAG3 > TAG1

TAG3 > jack ring (if stereo jack inserted)

BATT+ > NOT CONNECTED

...so it would seem that the jack is not switching the +ve supply through to the 4 pin connector.
It's a bugger getting inside the horn when you've got the array supports in place, isn't it!

RichardH

Post by RichardH »

...I ran a lead round from the BATT+ to the B+ terminal on the 4 way connector, and it works! It seems that the tuner operates with the lead disconnected, but I think that is switched at the preamp end, so when tuner off the battery is disconnected.

Result! Thanks to David for encouraging me to have a tinker!

oxblood

Post by oxblood »

Sounds like repeated plugging in/out stresses may have caused a hairline crack in one of the PCB tracks - which you've now bridged wid yer wire (sez he helpfully, after the event :D).

Mottlefeeder

Post by Mottlefeeder »

RichardH wrote:...I ran a lead round from the BATT+ to the B+ terminal on the 4 way connector, and it works! It seems that the tuner operates with the lead disconnected, but I think that is switched at the preamp end, so when tuner off the battery is disconnected.

Result! Thanks to David for encouraging me to have a tinker!
You're welcome. Glad you got it sorted.
Yamaha RBX 765 5-string fretted
Ibanez EWB205WNE 5-string fretted acoustic
Ashdown MiBass550
Hartke HA4000
BFM Jack 10 - (2)
Homebrew 1x10
Homebrew Battery Amp

tauzero

Post by tauzero »

The normal way of switching active preamps of all types is to connect the battery negative to the ring and the preamp negative/ground supply to ground, so the negative side is switched and the positive side is a permanent connection - or, in this case, permanent disconnection.
Coitum volaticum non dono

RichardH

Post by RichardH »

Yes, that is what I realised in my tinkerings. Just wondering as the tuner operates without the lead plugged in, but I suspect that is intentional, and the battery is only being used when the tuner is switched on.